There are certain scenarios where a linguist may want to prevent the Workbench from saving TM on segment save. Examples include:
The sentence has bad segmentation
The linguist is transcreating
The linguist needs to insert in-line tags (e.g. bold, white space) that aren't part of the source segment
The linguist is providing a gender-specific translation that is context-based
In these, and other scenarios, linguists need to complete the job, but want to prevent translation from saving to and polluting the TM.
The following Icons will be located next to the "Save" button in the workbench. They indicate whether or not the segment will be saved to the Translation Memory on segment save.
Icon Tool Tip
|TM will update on save||Indicates that "TM auto-update" is enabled for the segment AND that TM will be updated on segment save.|
|Don't update TM for this segment (this time only)||Indicates that "TM auto-update" is disabled for this segment in the current phase.|
|Never update TM for this segment (now or in the future)||Indicates that "TM auto-update" has been disabled for the segment (i.e. TM will be updated for the segment unless "TM auto-update" is later re-enabled).|
An example of a segment that will save to Translation Memory.
An example of a segment that will not save to Translation Memory in the current phase.
An example of a segment that will never save to Translation Memory in any phase of translation:
Disabling and enabling "TM auto-update"
- "TM auto-update" is enabled by default. In other words, all segments that are modified by a single translator will be automatically saved to Translation Memory.
- Under the Workbench Menu, selecting "Never Update TM for this Segment" will prevent the segment from being saved to Translation Memory in ALL stages of the workflow.
- If TM auto-update is locked for segment, the translator, editor or project manager will be notified by the Icon next to the save button. If the user wishes to enable TM auto-update, they can select "Auto-Update TM for this Segment."
- Both enabling and disabling TM auto-update for a segment is possible with theALT+U shortcut.
Reason for Enabling/Disabling TM auto-update
- A user that disables TM auto-update will be prompted for a reason. This reason will be available for other members of the project to view by clicking on the icon that indicates TM auto-update has been locked.
- If another user enables that segment for TM auto-update, they will also be prompted for a reason.
Visit the Lingotek Support Center.
Please sign in to leave a comment.