Now you can customize any translation profile – by language – with language-specific profiles.
Language specific profiles let you choose which workflow to use on each target language within a translation profile. Once you’ve enabled Language Specific Profiles, highly customize how content is handled and translated in WordPress.
A language specific profile lets you …
- Tailor your translation settings when translating into specific languages.
- Add extra translation steps for high value languages
- Set up machine translation for low value languages (e.g. fringe markets)
Here’s how it works:
- Create a workflow in Lingotek
- Go into a WordPress translation profile
- Open a target language
- Apply the new workflow to the target language
When Would I Need a Language Specific Translation Profile?
- Situation: You want blog posts machine translated into every language except for Korean.
- Solution: Go into the translation profile you’re using for blog posts, click on Korean, and select “Disabled.”
- Situation: Because Asian characters often shift text position, you want a graphic designer to review all of your Korean marketing materials.
- Solution: Create a workflow with an extra review step, and then apply it to the Korean section of your translation profile.
Here’s how it works.
- Go into a translation profile, and choose your default settings.
Unless you specify otherwise, these settings will apply to all content and all languages using the Translation Profile.
- If you want to add exceptions for a specific target language, go into the profile, click the desired target language, and then add the desired exceptions (explained below).
How Do Language-Specific Profiles Work?
You can set up language specific profiles - for as many languages as you like - in just a few steps.
- First, create the workflow you want to apply to each language in Lingotek.
- Then apply the new workflows to the language(s) of your choice.
Create a Lingotek Workflow
Go into Lingotek and create a custom workflow.
You will be able to apply this custom workflow to the language(s) of your choice.
Tip: You can create many workflows in the Lingotek translation management system (and then integrate them into several translation profiles).
Create a Language-Specific Profile
Now you will be able to add language-specific settings to the translation profiles of your choice.
- Access the Translation Profile
- Choose translation preferences for each language
- Choose your custom settings for each language
Access the Translation Profile
1) Go to the main menu and select Translation > Settings.
2) Click the Translation Profiles tab.
3) Click the Edit link to edit an existing translation profile.
Choose translation preferences for each language
4) Scroll to the bottom of the page.
5) Under Target languages, scroll to select your translation preferences for each language.
You will have several options.
- Use Default Settings – Content in this language will be translated using the default settings chosen for the overall translation profile. (i.e. Translation settings will not be customized).
- Use Custom Settings – Content in this language will use special custom settings – as you choose (see below).
- Disabled – Content in this language will not be translated.
6) If you would like to modify the settings for a single language, go to the drop down menu and select Use Custom Settings.
This will display special, customizable translation options.
Scroll to select your translation preferences for the target language.
Use the table below to help you make your selection(s).
Manual or Automatic
Should completed translations be published to WordPress manually or automatically?
Scroll to select the Lingotek workflow to use
For this language and this type of content.
Choose which filter you want to use.
(This filter will take precedence over the secondary filter).
Choose which filter you want to use as the secondary filter.
(This filter will be used when no rules are found in the primary filter).
7) Make any other desired changes.
8) When you are ready, click Save Changes.
Once your changes are saved, they will be applied to all future content using the translation profile.
Tip: If you need to apply a language-specific profile to documents that have already been uploaded, disassociate the documents that need the new profile, and then re-upload them to Lingotek.
Tip: Click the down arrow to Edit your language-specific settings.